The next thing I learned is that the glass sleeve material is difficult to cut cleanly even with sharp scissors. The photo above shows my result after the resin kicked and after I had removed the shrink tubing. The ends of the sleeve show the fraying of the fiberglass sleeve left by my scissors. In retrospect I think a rotary cutter with a fresh, sharp wheel, and with the sleeve on a cutting board might produce a cleaner result. I have some sleeve material left over so I can experiment with that aspect. Live and learn. Due to the size of this wing mast (~3.0 inches) I used packing tape rather than a zip tie to secure the glass sleeve while wetting out the glass and pulling up the shrink tubing. That seemed to work ok.
|A close up of the repaired area. One can see the original split in the wood in the upper right hand side of the mast.|
|Turning the mast over, one can see the luff groove slot which needs to be reopened.|